Secondary students in our English as a Second Language (ESL) program benefit from instruction that is geared toward the needs of second-language learners. Our methodology focuses on delivering rigorous instruction in all the content areas through sheltered instruction that promotes language acquisition while developing the content knowledge base. In addition, educators implement the English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS) in all content areas in order to facilitate increased English proficiency while building academic language.
Secondary ESL Staff... who we are
Bilingual/ESL Facilitator Clerk
Secondary ESL Facilitator
Secondary ESL Strategist
Responsibilities...what we do
Assist campus administrators and classroom educators in implementing the ELPS and TEKS for Limited English Proficient students:
· Support teacher education through District professional development for sheltered instruction and other secondary ESL instructional needs
· Support and advocate structure, uniformity and implementation of the articulated secondary ESL/sheltered instruction program with specific knowledge of Newcomer students
· Measure and evaluate the use of ESL researched, evidence-based practices and teaching strategies
· Maintain and inform stakeholders on current knowledge of secondary ESL program (e.g., laws; changes and trends)
· Use data to assist teachers and administrators in creating language goals for their students
· Design and implement effective summer language program for English Language Learners
· Review and select ESL secondary materials appropriate for sheltered instruction, ESL, and the Newcomer Program in collaboration with the specific content area facilitators.