Title I Parent Involvement Center
& Parent Education
Title I Parent Involvement Center
525 NE 15th Street
Grand Prairie, TX 75050
The Parent Involvement Center (PIC) is part of the District's Title I program and is located at 525 NE 15th Street. This center is designed to involve the total family in the educational process. Research shows that parents who are more focused on their children's education make a huge difference in a student's achievement.
- To encourage parents to actively participate in the creating and implementing of educational programs for their children
- To strengthen the relationship between school staff, parents, students and the local community
- To assist with all communication efforts directed at non-English speaking parents
- To address barriers keeping parents from being involved in their child's education
- To encourage collaboration among parties that serve children and families, where the results promote educational excellence in achievement for all Title I students in the Grand Prairie Independent School District
Programs for Parent Involvement
Parental support and involvement in the learning process of their children are very important and beneficial for the students. The following are a few of the programs and activities that are designed for the involvement of parents at school and at home.
- Parenting skills classes use the Practical Parenting Curriculum, Family Frameworks, and other related material (all in English and Spanish)
- General Education Development with resources on GED and ESL
- Conferences and workshops are provided where sessions are conducted by professional staff members and/or other professional consultants or organizations
- Basic computer instruction
- Nutrition, provide information and instructions so parents can enhance their nutritional skills
- "Make and take" activities provide parents with skills necessary for making their own educational materials and games that can be used at home for instruction with their children
- Family Fun and Learning Nights are fun and educational activities that follow a theme, providing enrichment, fun and learning for the whole family.
Basic Services for Staff/Campus
- Staff development workshops regarding parental involvement
- Assistance working with "high risk" Title I students and their families as needed
- Work cooperatively with Title I campus principals, counselors and teachers
- Available to speak at PTA meetings and faculty meetings upon request
- Assist in the selection of books, equipment and other instructional materials relating to parental involvement
- Serve as official liaison person for Title I parents and teachers
- Serve on campus' "Campus Improvement Team" or other committees
- Technical assistance with implementing parental involvement activities
- Assistance in identifying possible funding sources for parental involvement activities
Parent Education Programs- English as a Second Language (ESL) and other programs
Parent Education Classes are provided in English as a Second Language (ESL) aw well as Ingles Sin Barreras (English Without Barriers) for adult learners in Grand Prairie. ESL classes are taught at a variety of levels and are held in the evening at GPHS and YWLA @ Arnold MS, while Ingles Sin Barreras Classes are usually held during the day at various locations. Other classes and workshops are available as well. For more information, call 972-343-6112.
GPISD no longer provides GED testing or preparation classes. However, if you previously took a GED test at a GPISD location and need scores or more information, you can contact the TEA GED Test Center at http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index2.aspx?id=7954&menu_id=944&menu_id2=945
or call 1-800-399-2969 for help getting a printable PDF containing your GED certificate and test scores.
Title I Parent Involvement Facilitator
Title I Clerk