Transition Services

  • Begin with the End in Mind

    Our goal in GPISD is student achievement. Transition services, which is a process of preparing students for post-secondary life, align with that goal. We begin the process of planning for post-secondary life as early as an elementary school teaching basic independent skills; however, the transition is specifically addressed in the student's IEP in 8th grade or at 14 years of age, whichever comes first. The Special Education department in GPISD offers a continuum of services that are outlined in a student's IEP and aligned with their needs and interests. Some of these services include, but are not limited to:

    • Personal Graduation Plan/4 Year Course of Study
    • Community-Based Vocational Instruction (CBVI)/Community Based Instruction (CBI)
      • CBI is a supplemental set of activities for students with an IEP that assist in targeting post-secondary goals that address education, vocational training, and independent living.
      • CBI/CBVI instruction can take place around the campus or in the community. Activities around campus should occur routinely and regularly. Activities in the community (outside of school) should supplement classroom activities that are designed around a planned unit of instruction.
    • Direct instruction and generalization of academic and functional skills
    • Coordinated set of activities target skills related to, but are not limited to:
      • Instruction
      • Related Services
      • Work-related behavior needs
      • Community experiences
      • Daily living skills
    • Government Agency Connection
    • 18+ Transition Programs
    Comments (-1)
  • Follow Us on Facebook!

    Comments (-1)

Transition Specialist

Showing results for "Professor named Smith at Elementary School"
  • Disclaimer
    The agencies represented here are not identified as recommendations, but only as information for you our families. We recognize that many other agencies and resources may be able to support your family. If you are needing additional information, please contact Amy Reeves or your case manager.