World Languages Parent Info
Thank you, parents, for your support and interest in our World Languages program! Below are links to important information. Would you like additional information included on this page? Let us know by emailing the site manager.
Supporting Your Student
How can I help my child learn another language?
- Ask your child, "What can you say today that you could not yesterday? This keeps you well informed and allows your child to reflect on his success.
- If your child struggles to remember vocabulary, offer to help her make and use flashcards.
- When time permits, take your student to local places where the target language is spoken.
- With your child, watch familiar movies with the spoken language and subtitles in the target language. See how much you understand without hearing or reading English!
Supporting Our Program
How can I support GPISD World Languages?
- Did you live or work in a country that is studied in your child's language class? Ask your child's teacher if you might present images, information and artifacts to the class.
- Volunteer with after school clubs or events
- Form a Language Booster Club and invite parents of students who study languages at your campus!
- Your Booster Club might offer to use funds you raise to buy educational materials for language learning - posters, music, etc. Or Boosters might offer a scholarship to graduating seniors who commit to major in languages in college.