Our Namesake

  • Bill Arnold
     
    The Young Women's Leadership Academy at Arnold Middle School is named after Mr. Bill Arnold, born on August 17, 1926 in Hopkins County, Texas. Bill Arnold and his wife Laura have two sons, Bryan and Brent, their wives Lori and Sally and four grandchildren. Mr. Bill Arnold attended and graduated from North Hopkins High School in 1944, served two years in the U.S. Navy during World War II, and attended East Texas State University receiving a B.S. degree in History and Business Administration. Bill Arnold also received a Master of Education degree from East Texas State University. In 1954, Bill Arnold moved to Grand Prairie and was a teacher at Austin Elementary School, principal at Lamar Elementary School, principal at Travis Elementary School, and principal of Jefferson Junior High School. Mr. Bill Arnold joined the GPISD central administration in 1968 and served as the Assistant Superintendent for Business Administration providing leadership in Grand Prairie ISD for many years. In 1986, Deputy Superintendent Bill Arnold retired from the GPISD after being elected to the Texas Legislature where he served in the 70th, 71st, and 72nd Legislative sessions. While in the Texas Legislature, Mr. Bill Arnold continued to make a difference for education at the state and national levels. Mr. Bill Arnold and his wife Laura have visited the campus on several occasions and are familiar faces to our students and staff.