Mike Moseley Elementary School opened in August 2007 with approximately 430 students and 40 staff members under the leadership of Principal Sharon Milham. The school is named in honor of Air Force General T. Michael "Buzz" Moseley. General Moseley is Chief of Staff of the U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. As Chief, he serves as the senior uniformed officer responsible for 700,000 active-duty, Guard, Reserve and civilian forces serving in the United States and overseas. As a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Moseley and other service chiefs function as military advisers to the Secretary of Defense, National Security Council and the President.
Prior to his appointment as the Air Force’s eighteenth Chief of Staff, General Moseley served as Vice Chief of Staff, United States Air Force. Prior to that assignment, he commanded United States Central Command Air Forces and was the Combined Forces Air Component Commander (CFACC) for Operations Southern Watch (OSW), Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Iraqi Freedom (OIF). General Moseley was in the Pentagon on September 11th, 2001 when American Airlines Flight 77 struck the building. By November he assumed command of USCENTAF on the floor of the Air Operations Center in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and commanded all air combat operations for the next 656 days over Afghanistan, Iraq and the Horn of Africa.
General Moseley graduated from Grand Prairie High School before going on to Texas A&M University where he graduated with both a BA and MA in political science. During his 34 years in the Air Force he has commanded combat air forces at every level: fighter squadron, fighter group, fighter wing, numbered Air Force, and theater air force. He has also served in six joint/coalition assignments. He has been awarded the following esteemed titles and awards:
- The Air Force Association Hap Arnold Award, its highest honor to a military member in the field of National Security
- The General James H. Doolittle Award from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Security Studies Program for his advancement in aerospace technology
- The 2005 James V. Hartinger Award, in recognition of his significant achievements in advancing and maturing the military space mission of the United States of America and his visionary leadership
- Of Honors bestowed by Her Majesty The Queen, Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire
- Commander of the Order of National Merit by the President of the French Republic
- The Emirates Military Medal First Class; the UAE’s highest military award by the President of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces
General Moseley is an accomplished fighter pilot who began flying at the age of 14 and has piloted a wide range of aircraft throughout his 34-year career. He was selected to be in the initial cadre of pilots to transition to F-15As at Holloman AFB, NM and F-15Cs at Kadena AB, Japan. He is a graduate of the USAF’s Fighter Weapons School where he later served as an instructor.
The fighter pilot is a typical Texan. His family roots are six generations deep in Texas history as lawmen, cotton farmers and stockmen. He married his high school sweetheart whose family also lived in Texas for five generations and currently operates one of the Texas historic Centennial Farms. He is an avid reader with an impressive 3,000 book professional library in his home. He loves to bird hunt, drives a Ford F-150 4x4 truck (Aggie maroon of course), and is a big fan of country music.