AP STATISTICS SUMMER ASSIGNMENT (Also available as a word document here: AP Statistics Summer Assignment
Welcome to AP STATISTICS! This course requires analytical and critical thinking skills to analyze numerical data, test for significance and confidence interval to make statistical inference of the world around you with the aid of technology , math brain and common sense .
This summer assignment should not take too much of your time, but this assignment does not reflect the difficulty of the course. This assignment is counted as two daily grades for the first quarter of the semester.
- What is Statistics? Define it with an example.
- Compare and contrast descriptive and inferential statistics. Define each and give specific example.
- What kinds of people, jobs, fields, disciplines, etc., use Statistics?
Chapter 1: Exploring Data
Define the following and give example of each.DO NO RESTATE WHAT THE BOOK SAYS! Write your answer in your own words.
- Categorical Variable
- Quantitative Variable
- Many people like to ride roller coasters. Amusement parks try to increase attendance by building exciting new coasters. The following table displays data on several roller coasters that were opened in a recent year.
- What individuals does this data set describe?
- What variables were measured? Identify each set as categorical or quantitative.
- Describe the individual in the last row of the table horizontally across in a complete sentence.
- Define and give example of each. DO NOT RESTATE WHAT THE BOOK SAYS! Write your answer in your own words.
- Pie – chart f. Segmented Bar Graph
- Bar graph g. Side – by – side graph
- Two – way table h. Association
- Marginal distribution
- Conditional Distribution
- Define and give example each.DO NOT RESTATE WHAT THE BOOK SAYS! Write your answer in your own words.
- Symmetric distribution d. Dotplot
- Skewed to the right distribution e. Stemplot
- Skewed to the left distribution f. Histogram
- Students in a college statistics class responded to a survey designed by their teacher. One of the survey questions was “How much sleep did you get last night?”
9 6 8 6 8 8 6 6 .5 6 7 9 4 3 4
5 6 11 6 3 6 6 10 7 8 4.5 9 7 7
- Make a dotplot to display the data.
- Describe the overall pattern of the distribution and any departures from that pattern
- Define and give example of each.DO NOT RESTATE WHAT THE BOOK SAYS! Write your answer in your own words.
- Mean d. Third Quartile Outlier
- First Quartile e. Range
- Median f. Interquartile Range
- The 2011 roster of the Dallas Cowboys professional football team included 8 defensive linemen.
Their weights ( in pounds) were
310 307 345 324 305 301 290 307
- Find the five - number summary for these data by hand. Show your work.
- Calculate the interquartile range (IQR) .Interpret this value in context.
- Determine whether there are any outliers using the 1.5 X IQR rule.
- Draw a boxplot of the data.
If you have questions or concern , e-mail me: anita.brown@gpisd,org
HAVE A GREAT SUMMER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!