Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) benefits
Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) is for families with children (up to age 21) who temporarily lost access to free or reduced-price meals at school during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Unfortunately, P-EBT qualifications and funding have caused some confusion and frustration. GPISD understands your concerns and is committed to assisting our families in applying for P-EBT funds. We hope these clarifications help you understand the process. GPISD does not set the criteria. Eligibility is determined by the information provided by parents/guardians on the Free/Reduced Meal Applications. P-EBT is administered by the Texas Health and Human Services Commission, Texas Department of Agriculture and Texas Education Agency.
To qualify for 20-21 School Year P-EBT Funds
- You must have submitted a 2020-21 Free/Reduced Meal application and qualified for Free/Reduced Meals prior to June 30, 2021 to qualify for 2020-21 school year P-EBT funds.
- You could also qualify by being eligible for TANF, Medicaid, or SNAP;being eligible for a federally funded Head Start program or state-funded Pre-K program; being categorized as foster, migrant, homeless, or runaway youth; or being eligible for the Food Distribution Program for Indian Reservations.
- Although all GPISD students received free meals during the 20-21 school year, the district does not have any Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) or Provision 2 (P2) schools that would automatically qualify all students for P-EBT. The free meals last year and this year are made possible due to waivers placed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). This is separate from the criteria for P-EBT.
If you have received a denial of P-EBT funds
- Either Free/Reduced Meal application for 2020-21 was not submitted or the student was not eligible for benefits.
• You can request a review by either calling the P-EBT Call Center at 833-442-1255, Monday through Friday, 8:00am-6:00pm or visit yourtexasbenefits.com/Learn/initiatereview. You will need to provide the Application ID on the top of the notice you received in the mail. If they find your child is eligible after a review, you will be sent a notice to let you know.
- GPISD does not set the criteria for eligibility.
To qualify for 2021 Summer Funds (to be issued in the fall of 2021)
- Submit an application and qualify for Free/Reduced Meals for the 2021-22 school year by August 28 or be newly enrolled in SNAP
- Applications will be received and reviewed for funds to be issued in the fall of 2021.
It is not known at this time if the P-EBT program will continue for the 21-22 school year. We urge all families to complete the Free/Reduced Meal Application for this year by August 28 even though all students will receive free breakfast and lunch for the 2021-22 school year. The application does much more for families than just free meals such as
- reduced or waived fees for academic testing like ACT and SAT and college application fees
- additional funding for schools
- benefits extend through the first 30 days of the 22-23 school year.
GPISD does not set criteria for qualifications for free/reduced meals or P-EBT.
GPISD Director of Food Service