Now more than ever, attendance, participation and staying engaged are critical for your student’s success at school. Your Skyward Family Access account is a convenient way to view and track your student’s attendance. Click here to navigate to Skyward Family Access (https://www.gpisd.org/skyward) If you need assistance with setting up your Skyward Family Access account, please contact your child’s school. In addition, Attendance Warning Letters can now be viewed through Skyward Family Access. Education Code 25.087 requires school districts to notify a student’s parent if the student has unexcused absences for three day or parts of days within a four-week period.
To assist with attendance, parents should:
- Monitor the student’s school attendance and require the student to attend school;
- Request a conference with the school officials to discuss the absences;
- Provide updated accurate address and contact information;
- Monitor student attendance through Skyward Family Access;
- Submit an excuse note to the attendance office for all unexcused absences.
The GPISD Truancy Department wants all parents to know it is never too late to work together to improve student attendance and reduce truancy.
Attendance tips for Parents
- Praise your child when they exhibit good attendance and promptness.
- Extended vacations, long weekends, and frequent doctor appointments scheduled during school hours may cause your child to fall behind in class.
- Follow the proper school guidelines for reporting Excused absences in a timely manner.
- Allow your child to stay home only when he/she has a contagious illness or is too sick to be comfortable.
- Give your child enough time to get ready for school in the morning. Prepare lunches, pack school bags, and lay out clothing the night before.
- Monitor your child’s attendance through GPISD Skyward Family Access.
FREQUENTLY ASKED ATTENDANCE QUESTIONS
What do I do if my child has to be absent from school?
What types of absences may be excused?
What is the school/district’s responsibility regarding school attendance?
What should I do if I received a Warning Letter regarding my student’s attendance?
What if there is an error with my students Attendance?
What is the parent/guardian’s responsibility?
What are the laws governing school attendance?