The GPFAA Jazz Strand is made up of some of the most talented students in the GPISD. Membership is granted through an audition process held in December, March, and May for admission the following school year. The GPFAA Jazz Strand consists of five ensembles including the Beginning Jazz Ensemble, two middle school ensembles, and two high school ensembles.
The focus of the GPFAA Jazz Strand is to develop each student to their fullest potential and foster a love of music and an appreciation of America’s only true art form…jazz. Students will be provided opportunities to explore their interests in the jazz idiom while developing their musical performance skills to the highest level possible. It is the purpose of the GPFAA Jazz Strand to provide an exceptional and enriching experience through extensive music study and performance.
- Over 100% growth to include over 80 students in 5 performing
- Numerous campus and community performances held each
- Intensive study on wind and percussion instruments with big bands and
- Guest artist clinics, performances, and workshops held on campus each
- Educational field trips to major DFW venues and area
- Participation at area, regional, and national competitive jazz festivals.