The GPFAA Jazz Strand is made up of some of the most talented students in the GPISD. Membership is granted through an audition process held in December, March, and May for admission the following school year. The GPFAA Jazz Strand consists of five ensembles including the Beginning Jazz Ensemble, two middle school ensembles, and two high school ensembles.
The focus of the GPFAA Jazz Strand is to develop each student to their fullest potential and foster a love of music and an appreciation of America’s only true art form…jazz. Students will be provided opportunities to explore their interests in the jazz idiom while developing their musical performance skills to the highest level possible. It is the purpose of the GPFAA Jazz Strand to provide an exceptional and enriching experience through extensive music study and performance.
Be sure to check the below for more detailed information, including director bios, important dates, media, and audition material.
GPFAA Jazz Ensemble 1 at the Hill Country Jazz Festival
*2021 Auditions will be via Zoom*
6th Grade Music Requirements (Synchronous Zoom Audition. NO YOUTUBE SUBMISSION)
Beginning band students that are interested in auditioning for the GPFAA Band Strand do not necessarily need any band or instrument experience. Students should be able to meet the schools’ enrollment requirements and be willing to be placed on an instrument that best suites their interests and abilities. We will have instrument placement try-outs the first week of school, and students will have the opportunity to try each available instrument in order to find the instrument to which they are most suited. It is recommended but not necessary that students have a basic understanding of rhythm and note reading.
Note: If a student has previous band experience, they should plan on auditioning on their instrument.
7th – 12th Grade Music Requirements (Synchronous Zoom Audition plus optional YouTube video)
Students will need to demonstrate proficiency on their instrument at an appropriate level by performing the following:
· A prepared solo or etude of your choice
· Major Scales (Concert Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, G, C, F)
· Chromatic Scale (Full Range)
Awards & Accolades
GPFAA Jazz Strand Facts
- Over 100% growth to include over 80 students in 5 performing ensembles.
- Numerous campus and community performances held each year.
- Intensive study on wind and percussion instruments with big bands and combos.
- Guest artist clinics, performances, and workshops held on campus each year.
- Educational field trips to major DFW venues and area universities.
- Participation at area, regional, and national competitive jazz festivals.
- Numerous students selected to TMEA All-Region Jazz Ensemble each year.
- Recognized for outstanding performances at area and regional jazz festivals.
- GPFAA MS1 Jazz Ensemble named winner of UTA and TCU Jazz Festivals.
- GPFAA Beginning Jazz Ensemble named ‘Best-In-Class’ at Sandy Lake Festival.
- GPFAA MS1 Jazz Ensemble performance as ‘Outstanding MS Ensemble’ at UTA.