The GPFAA Jazz Strand is made up of some of the most talented students in the GPISD. Membership is granted through an audition process held in December, March, and May for admission the following school year. The GPFAA Jazz Strand consists of five ensembles including the Beginning Jazz Ensemble, two middle school ensembles, and two high school ensembles.
The focus of the GPFAA Jazz Strand is to develop each student to their fullest potential and foster a love of music and an appreciation of America’s only true art form…jazz. Students will be provided opportunities to explore their interests in the jazz idiom while developing their musical performance skills to the highest level possible. It is the purpose of the GPFAA Jazz Strand to provide an exceptional and enriching experience through extensive music study and performance.
- Includes over 80 students in 5 different ensembles ranging from beginner through advanced
- Numerous campus and community performance opportunities
- Intensive study on wind and percussion in big band and combo settings
- Workshops, masterclasses, and clinics held on campus each semester
- Educational field trips to various venues throughout DFW
- Participation at competitive jazz festivals locally, regionally, and abroad