Degrees and Certifications:
My name is Mrs. Swanigan and I will be the new full time school counselor at GPCI for the 2017-2018 school year! The beginning of the year is exciting, stressful, and full of possibility. In the Counseling and Guidance office, I have been very busy helping scholars get off to a good start.
The role of a school counselor at Grand Prairie Collegiate Institute is to be a strong advocate for each and every scholar. My number one goal as the school counselor is student achievement. Also to increase their knowledge about post-high school opportunities, and to help them make the important connection between their high school record and the specific options that will be available to them upon graduation. It is the counselor’s responsibility to have high expectations for all scholars, and to challenge them accordingly by guiding them to take courses that are appropriate for their goals and interests. I also strongly encourage all scholars to become involved in extracurricular activities through which they can make important social and community connections, through which they can grow in ways that go beyond the classroom.
Here are the services that I offer:
- Academic planning and course selection guidance
- College and career exploration and guidance
- Consultation and meetings with parents, teachers and scholars
- Contact with area colleges and universities through College Fairs and access to resources
- Crisis intervention counseling
- Monitoring of academic progress and communication with teachers and parents
- Motivating scholars to develop the skills to plan and implement goals
- Personal and emotional counseling, as well as referrals to mental health resources ( if needed)
- Scheduling maintenance
I encourage you to contact me if you have questions about the services I offer, or about any concerns regarding your son or daughter. I can be reached by phone at (972)343-3151. I can also be reached by email and that address is email@example.com. We are going to have an amazing school year and I look forward to working with all parents, staff, and scholars.