AVID, Advancement Via Individual Determination, is a global nonprofit organization dedicated to closing the achievement gap by preparing all students for college and other postsecondary opportunities. AVID is not just another program…at its heart, AVID is a philosophy.
Hold students accountable to the highest standards, provide academic and social support, and they will rise to the challenge.
AVID's mission is to close the achievement by preparing all students for college readiness and success in the global society.
AVID's does the following:
- Teaches skills and behaviors for academic success
- Provides intensive support with tutorials and strong student/teacher relationships
- Creates a positive peer group for students
- Develops a sense of hope for personal achievement gained through hard works and determination
Components of AVID are:
- Cornell Notes
- WICOR: Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization & Reading
- TRF: Tutorial Request Form
- College Inquiry through study and field trips