2020-2021 Pre-K 4 Overview
Grand Prairie ISD is honored that you are considering placing your child at one of our Pre-K facilities. We want to make the process of applying for Pre-K 4 as simple as possible, so we have developed these guidelines to help along the way.
The Pre-K program in GPISD has been developed using the TEA’s guidelines and early education best practices, including Dual Language at a majority of our campuses. Our program provides a rigorous environment to address developmental and social needs as well as the academic content and the readiness skills essential for children to be successful.
Our focus is bringing families together in an educational community that helps to provide a rich environment in which students can develop and reach their potential. We intentionally develop strong relationships with students, their families, and our community.
Class Ratio: 2 Staff (Teacher & Paraprofessional):22 Students
Email PreK@gpisd.org or call 972-522-3180.
Have questions? Text PREK to 972-687-7735
Step 1 - Apply
Fill out an Online Application (English and Spanish links above)
Step 2 - Enroll
After completing the application, you will receive an email with your confirmation number and you will receive a second email with instructions for enrollment. You will have the option for your child to participate in face-to-face learning or virtual learning during this step.
Step 3 - Register
Register for the school year on our website here.
Criteria for Free Pre-K
Is my child eligible for FREE Pre-K 4?
If your child will be four years old by September 1, 2020, he/she may be eligible for FREE full-day Pre-K. Federal qualification criteria include:
- Unable to speak and understand the English language
- Educationally disadvantaged (eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program)
- Families in transition (click here to see the McKinney-Vento guidelines)
- Child of a member of the United States armed forces (active, deceased or disabled)
- Has ever been in state foster care
- Child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as a police officer, firefighter, or EMT
For students who qualify under the FREE Pre-K state criteria, GPISD offers the choice of One-Way Dual Language, Two-Way Dual Language, ESL, or general English curriculum.
What will I need to for enrollment once I have applied online?
Once you have applied online, you will receive a confirmation to enroll. You will then complete the New Student Online Enrollment and be able to upload the required documents listed below in order to complete the enrollment process. The New Student Online Enrollment link can be found on this page: https://www.gpisd.org/registration. If you have any difficulties with the enrollment process, please email email@example.com for assistance.
- Official birth certificate (any country)
- Child's social security card
- Current proof of address (utility bill with address)
- Parent/Guardian picture ID from any country
- Income verification (such as a current pay stub or W2 form)
- Up-to-date immunization record
- All children are required to have this on file with the school before they may attend their first day of school. This is a state requirement.
District staff can assist families needing additional documents.
Grand Prairie ISD identifies children ages three, four, and five who may be eligible and would benefit from a Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities (PPCD). Request for a Child Find Meeting may be made by parents, other concerned persons or Head Start. ECI case workers will initiate the referral process for children that have been identified with a delay. GPISD completes Child Find Meetings and/or evaluations during the school year.
For information on referring children enrolled in GPISD suspected of having a disability, contact the GPISD special education department or your child’s campus RTI team.
For information on referring children not enrolled in GPISD suspected of having a disability, contact:
- The GPISD Child Find Department for children 3 and above, call 972-522-3152
- For services for children less than 3 years old contact Dallas Metrocare - Early Childhood Intervention Services at 214-333-7076