Young Men's Leadership Academy
About Our School
Grades 6 – 8 | Choice
The Young Men's Leadership Academy will offer 6th-8th grade boys a dynamic learning experience that encourages critical thinking, inspires confidence and nurtures the intellectual and social development necessary for success in college, career and life. Rigorous coursework, field-based exploration, and the incorporation of social and emotional learning helps students transition from middle school to high school, higher education and beyond.
At Young Men’s Leadership Academy, we feature a rigorous educational program geared toward our all male student population. Along with academic growth, our focus is set on transforming boys into young men and ultimately into the leaders of tomorrow who will positively impact their community. Young Men’s Leadership Academy is a school of choice within the Grand Prairie Independent School District that also offers competitive athletic, fine arts, and leadership programs. Abiding by the school creed, our administrative and educational staff is dedicated to being lifelong learners. They are committed to seeing things clearly and making them better to ensure the holistic success of our leaders.
- Building Character: Successful Men of Tomorrow
- Leadership Focus: Literacy
- Teamwork and Competition
- Study Skills and Time Management
- Goals Setting
- Professional Communication
- Community Service
- College Readiness
How to know Young Men’s Leadership Academy is right for your child:
- You want your son to be a part of a program geared towards growing future leaders and men of character.
- You want your son to experience all the benefits of a traditional middle school, but with an emphasis on leadership and character building.
- You believe your son would thrive in an environment that positively employs competition and removes distractions allowing them to focus on academic and personal success.
Unique ways your child can learn and grow here:
- All boys take part in Mindset Monday, a unique lesson that builds the four core values: character, hard work, fortitude, and leadership.
- YMLA offers Junior Cadet Corp, built-in Academic Advisory AVID, fine arts, and Chi Schedule for restorative discipline.
- Students are placed in positions of leadership on and off campus allowing them opportunities to drive programming on campus and serve our community.
Courses include options for varied levels of learners: Advanced, Gifted and Talented, On Level, Accelerated Instruction, Inclusion Support, and CTE.
Leaders can earn up to 7 high school credits. High School credit course options are as follows: Spanish 1-3 and AP Spanish Language, Entrepreneurship, Principles of Transportation, Principles of Engineering, English I, Algebra I, Geometry, and Foundations of PE.
Advanced Academics and Gifted and Talented classes are offered for students who meet the district criteria for participation.
We also offer specialty electives such as AVID, Leadership, JCC, and Kickstart Karate.
Athletics - YMLA 7th and 8th grade students have the option to participate in the following sports through GPISD Athletics: football, basketball, soccer, and track.
Leadership - Focus on building and developing leadership skills centered around 21 century skills for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.
Kindness Crew - A team of students who work to promote kindness and compassion throughout the campus and community by doing service projects, social learning activities, and inspiring acts of kindness.
National Junior Honor Society
Kick Start Karate - Kids can compete in Karate Tournaments
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Young Men’s Leadership Academy a reform or last chance school?
Does Young Men’s Leadership Academy offer all sports and fine arts?
Do students wear uniforms at Young Men’s Leadership Academy?
Is there more bullying and fighting on campus?