AVID Application for the 2021-2022 School Year
Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) - mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
AVID is a regularly scheduled elective class that prepares students with high academic potential for success in college.
An AVID Student...
- Has desire and determination
- Wants to be challenged in school with support
- Might be the first person in their family to go to college one day
- Might be learning English as a second language
- May desire an “AVID Family” support system
- Could benefit from guidance at school to become college-ready
What are AVID student expectations?
AVID students are expected to enroll in rigorous college preparatory classes, maintain an absolute minimum of a “C” average, and be leaders on their campus.
What happens in the AVID Elective class?
- AVID students are supported in high-level academic skills in writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization, reading and academic behaviors.
- Students are equipped with skills such as note taking, studying, test-taking, and goal setting.
- Students receive academic support from college-age tutors through collaborative groups and are motivated to pursue academic excellence through cultural and college field trips, classroom guest speakers, and AVID team building.
AVID- Advancement Via Individual Determination
Our AVID College Readiness system is designed to prepare young ladies at Young Women’s Academy for four-year college eligibility. The core component of AVID CRS is the AVID Elective course, which supports students as they tackle rigorous coursework that will prepare them to be successful in AVID. AVID’s teaching strategies, curriculum, and training are used not only in the AVID elective class but by subject-area teachers on our site team.
AVID's mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
WICOR Poster- WICOR is an acronym for strategies used in AVID classrooms. The letters stand for Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading.