Why promote Kindness and Compassion?
In Grand Prairie ISD, counselors and/or social workers supervise the Be Kind initiative as a method to prevent bullying in our schools and to foster empathy in our students. The student and staff members of the Kindness Crew Clubs at each campus sponsor kindness and compassion events to encourage students to become emotionally connected and to cultivate respect for others.
In addition, Kindness Crew members at secondary campuses are trained to recognize signs of suicide and to alert Counseling Services team members if a student may be struggling.
Kindness Crew Clubs
Every campus in Grand Prairie ISD has established a Kindness Crew at the elementary and secondary level.
These clubs bring together staff and students in a commitment to change the culture of the school by promoting kindness and compassion in the school community by doing the following:
1. Getting everyone involved. Kindness Crew Club community service projects are intended to involve the entire campus and include but are not limited to
- Grand Prairie Big Event Projects
- GPISD Social Work Hub
- North Texas Food Bank Food Drives
2. Encouraging others to be kind and to perform acts of kindness
- Kindness Crew Club members lead by example
- Kindness Challenges
- Intentional Acts of Kindness Calendar
3. Each campus should promote an atmosphere of kindness by
- Displaying posters
- Having word or quote of the week announcements
- Sponsoring projects that involve the whole campus
- Other activities created by campuses to promote kindness
For more information about Kindness Crew Clubs, please contact your child’s campus counselor/social worker.
School Counselors at each campus in Grand Prairie ISD offer service-learning opportunities for all students. Benefits for students include:
- Service learning can improve character values and responsible behavior
- Service-learning can improve academic outcomes for students
- Service-learning can promote a sense of connectedness to the school and the community
- Service-learning can promote social-emotional skills
Grand Prairie Big Event
Community Services Opportunities for Students
Grand Prairie United Charities
1417 Densman Street
Grand Prairie, TX 75051