(972) 262-7244 – Main Office
(972) 522-7002 – Attendance Office
Principal – Brayonna Howard
Assistant Principal – Ms. Sandy Dávila-Tijerina
7:00 a.m. - Doors Open for Check-In and Breakfast
The Tardy Bell rings at 7:15 a.m.
All students that arrive at 7:30 or later must have a parent sign them in at the Attendance Office.
Students MUST be in dress code when they arrive at school. If they are out of dress code, they will need to contact a parent to bring the appropriate clothing or they will be sent home to change clothes. If a student misses a day of school due to dress code, it will be considered an UNEXCUSED absence.
The dress code at Johnson DAEP is as follows:
- Black, Navy or White collared shirt (polo shirt or buttoned shirt)
- Dress slacks with belt loops– black, navy blue, or khaki (no jeans & no slacks with rivets)
- Belt – solid black, brown, tan, or white
- Athletic/tennis shoes (only) and socks- solid black, brown, tan, or white
- Undershirts – only plain white or light gray without any logos or printing on it (either short or long sleeved)
- Student ID from home campus on a lanyard (replacement IDs cost $4.00) – IDs must be worn around the neck at all times.
- Clothing, including belts, socks, shoes, and shoelaces, may not be ANY color other than those colors listed above (white shirts; solid black, navy blue, or khaki slacks; solid black, brown, tan or white belt, shoes, and socks. Clothes are not to have any logos on them.
STUDENTS MAY NOT WEAR OR BRING THE FOLLOWING ITEMS
- Shorts, Capri’s, leggings, cargo pants, windbreaker pants, skinny pants, sweatpants, joggers, or jeans (ANY KIND OR COLOR OF JEANS)
- Hoodies instead of collared shirts
- Sagging pants or oversized clothing
- Dress shoes, Sperrys, boots, sandals, high heels, sliders, or open-toed shoes
- Belts with studs or inappropriate designs
- Undergarments that are visible through the clothing
- Jewelry, including watches, necklaces, tongue rings, and earrings. If jewelry is worn to school, it will be taken up at the door and returned to the student at the end of the placement, or it will be returned to the parent.
- Make-up, Chap Stick, gum, combs, brushes, and picks are not allowed. These items will be thrown out if they are brought to school.
- All student’s fingernails must be kept clipped short
- Removable teeth grills, or disruptive make-up or hairstyles, including but not limited to razor cuts, unnaturally dyed, colored, or painted hair, or any hairstyle or design that might infer gang affiliation.
- Students are NOT allowed to have backpacks, purses, or cell phones. There is a $15.00 fee for each time a cell phone is brought to school.
- Students are not allowed to bring more than $10.00 to school. Any amount over $10.00 must be turned into the office and will be returned to the student at the end of the day. If this occurs repeatedly, then a parent will need to pick up the money.
ALL TATTOOS AND HICKEYS MUST BE COVERED. If they are uncovered, the student will be out of dress code and will have to contact a parent.
The principal reserves the right to establish additional rules during the school year as needed. Any question or issue regarding the dress code will be referred to the principal for resolution.
Please call the Attendance Office at (972) 522-7002 (before 10:00 a.m. if possible) to report your student’s absence. Also, send a note when your student returns to school with: the student’s name, the reason for the absence, the date of the absence, your signature, and your telephone number. The note must be turned in to the attendance office within 4 days of the absence.
Checking a student out of school during the day loses DAEP credit for that day unless the reason is for a court appearance or a doctor or dental appointment. A note from the doctor, dentist, or the court is required for the student to receive credit for the school day.
The SRO will NOT be able to pick up your student from home if he/she refuses to attend school. You must call the GPISD truancy office at 972.522.7050 for assistance.
Classes start at 7:15 a.m. and end at 2:45 p.m. - students will not have late arrival or early release while enrolled at Johnson DAEP. Students lose 10 points when they are tardy.
Students that are assigned to ISS attend school from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Students in ISS will need to have breakfast at home because DAEP breakfast closes at 7:10 a.m. Also, bus transportation is NOT provided for students in ISS.
Students are given a Point Recovery Slip and parents are notified by a teacher when their student has to stay for Point Recovery the next day. Students who lose 25 or more will stay until 3:15 p.m. Bus transportation is NOT provided for students who have Point Recovery.
Entrance and Exit
Upon arrival at DAEP each morning, the student will be expected to enter the building through the east door by the park and go through a metal detector/security check. Students will also be asked to empty their pockets and will be given a cursory pat down by one of the employees. Shoes will be randomly checked. The School Resource Officer will make the decision to search a student further as necessary.
Length of Placement
There are several lengths of placement at DAEP - 10, 15, 20, 30, 45, and 60 school days. Early release may be earned by appropriate behavior, point totals, passing grades, principal recommendation, and good attendance. If the district says no early release, we will honor their request and inform the parties involved.
Breakfast is served from 7:00–7:10 a.m. If a student is on the free/reduced meal program at home campus, that program will transfer to DAEP. Be sure to re-apply for this program each year. If an application is not completed, the student will owe for meals until the day it is approved. Students may bring their own lunches to school; fast food (ex. McDonald’s) may NOT be brought in for students.
Special Education services and Resource classes are provided at DAEP. ESL, GT, Pre-AP, and AP services continue with special arrangements from the home campus.
Fully-charged iPad, pencil, and paper.
There are several bus stops throughout Grand Prairie. Student behavior on the school bus is expected to be in compliance with all Johnson DAEP rules and the GPISD Student Code of Conduct. Inappropriate bus behavior may result in a citation and/or removal of bus privileges for the REMAINDER OF THE SCHOOL YEAR (while attending DAEP).
Students are not allowed to call home every day for their ride. Transportation needs to be arranged before the student arrives at school.
While a student is enrolled at Johnson DAEP, he/she is not allowed on any GPISD campus or property for any reason. This includes picking up siblings at another campus, attending sporting events, concerts, PTA meetings, etc. If you are not certain about this, please ask Ms. Howard. Consequences for trespassing include a citation and additional time added to the student’s placement at DAEP.
Return to Home Campus
Students are given a withdrawal form to return to home campus. A parent or guardian must re-enroll their student at his/her home campus after completion of the placement at Johnson DAEP. Proof of residency is needed to re-enroll the student at home campus.
Not Allowed – they will be thrown out if brought to school
- Colored Pencils (‘map’ colors)
Personal Products may be brought to school and turned in to the main office
Picture Identification Required
GRAND PRAIRIE I.S.D. POLICY REQUIRES THAT ANY PERSON(S) DESIRING TO COMMUNICATE WITH OR CHECK-OUT ANY STUDENT MUST PROVIDE CURRENT PICTURE IDENTIFICATION. WE REGRET ANY INCONVENIENCE THIS MAY CREATE; HOWEVER STUDENT SAFETY AND SECURITY IS OUR UTMOST CONCERN.