AVID is a regularly scheduled elective class that prepares students with high academic potential for success in college.
An AVID Student...
- Has desire and determination
- Wants to be challenged in school with support
- Might be the first person in their family to go to college one day
- Might be learning English as a second language
- May desire an “AVID Family” support system
- Could benefit from guidance at school to become college-ready
What are AVID student expectations?
AVID students are expected to enroll in rigorous college preparatory classes, maintain an absolute minimum of a “C” average, and be leaders on their campus.
What happens in the AVID Elective class?
- AVID students are supported in high-level academic skills in writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization, reading and academic behaviors.
- Students are equipped with skills such as note taking, studying, test-taking, and goal setting.
- Students receive academic support from college-age tutors through collaborative groups and are motivated to pursue academic excellence through cultural and college field trips, classroom guest speakers, and AVID team building.