Principal Janna Burns Welcome
It's going to be a great year at YWLA and at GPISD! We have an amazing staff of teachers, counselors, front office, nurses, and administrators who are ready to get back into a new school year and help our students achieve excellence!
Each year, I have three primary goals for our students: safety, academics, and SEL. When we take care of these things, we're in for a great year...
- Safety of students and staff is at the forefront of all our minds, and at YWLA, we will continue to ensure we follow all safety protocols to maintain a safe environment. More information is in a section below.
- How you can help: Be sure your student wears her school ID each and every day. Always have your license/ID ready if you want to enter the building.
- Preliminary STAAR/EOC data shows we made gains during the previous school year, and I know we'll continue to make gains for the upcoming school year because of our hardworking YWLA staff. We want your student to have every opportunity available, and a great education is key.
- How you can help: Check Skyward and Canvas for assignments and grades. Talk to your student about classes, school, homework, etc. Communicate with teachers if you have a question.
- While academics are important, we also know the importance of students' SEL and helping them continue to develop emotional intelligence. We will continue to have Advisory lessons that include Mindfulness Monday, Tech Tuesday, Wellness Wednesday, and Future Friday. We're also responsive to student needs, and we address things as they arise; our social worker and our counselors are amazing and will do whatever is needed to support your student.
- How you can help: Monitor your student's social media. Talk to your student about how she is doing with school, friends, etc. If you notice any changes in behavior, follow up with your student and with the campus if necessary. Reach out to our counselors and social worker; we have resources and can support you and your student.